+ve in LASIK Eye Surgery?
LASIK has many benefits, including:
* It works! It corrects vision. Around 80% of patients will have their desired vision after LASIK. An enhancement can further increase this number.
* LASIK is associated with very little pain.
* Vision is corrected nearly immediately or by the day after LASIK.
* Usually no bandages or stitches are required after LASIK.
* Adjustments can be made years after LASIK to further correct vision.
* After having LASIK, most patients no longer need corrective eyewear.
-ve in LASIK Eye Surgery?
Despite the pluses, there are some disadvantages to LASIK eye surgery:
* Changes made to the cornea cannot be reversed after LASIK.
* Corrections can only be made by additional LASIK.
* LASIK is technically complex. Problems may occur when the doctor cuts the flap, which can permanently affect vision.
* LASIK can cause a loss of "best" vision with or without glasses at one year after surgery. Your best vision is the highest degree of vision that you achieved while wearing your contacts or eyeglasses.
What Are the Potential Side Effects of LASIK Eye Surgery?
Some patients experience discomfort in the first 24-48 hours after LASIK eye surgery. Other side effects, although rare, may include:
* Seeing halos around images
* Difficulty driving at night
* Fluctuating vision
* Dry eyes