Adding additional Name Server using cpanel
In a shared hosting server which uses WHM/cpanel it is very easy to create your own name server entries.
For this we need two unique ips and WHM access with access to edit dns zone. Then follow the process
Lets consider we have purchased ips xx.xx.xx.xx & yy.yy.yy.yy
- Login to WHM
- Select "Change Site's IP Address" under IP Functions and then choose your site (e.g sitename.com). Change the sites ip address to a available ip (e.g: xx.xx.xx.xx)
- Then go to "Edit DNS Zone" and select the domain name
- Add to new A entries for ns1 and ns2
give xx.xx.xx.xx for ns1 & yy.yy.yy.yy for ns2
- Edit all the zone entries values for this site to point to the new ip xx.xx.xx.xx instead of the old one (where ever applicable).
- Edit all the zone entries for this site to point to the new name server ns1.sitename.com instead of other values (where ever applicable).
Then change the same in domains control panel to make the domain point to ns1.sitename.com & ns2.sitename.com
Then wait for few hours before the domain propagation..
From then on the site will have its own name server ips.