Intensified security arrangements will be in place ahead of the verdict in the Babri Masjid title suit slated for September 24.
“An alert has been sounded across the State and the entire police force will be mobilised as part of a meticulously devised security scheme. No procession or agitation pertaining to the verdict will be allowed,” Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) K. Radhakrishnan said on Wednesday. While Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad personnel will conduct anti-sabotage checks at vulnerable points, commandos of the Quick Reaction Team and Swift Action Group will be deployed strategically.
“We are coordinating with the Railway Police with regard to protection of trains, bridges and track. Heightened security arrangements will be in place from September 23,” he said.
Kanyakumari, Dindigul, Coimbatore, Tirupur, Vellore and Ramanathapuram were among the districts identified as “hyper-sensitive”. Battalions of the Tamil Nadu Special Police and Armed Reserve would be moved to these districts.
Commissioners of Police, District Collectors and Superintendents of Police were conducting meetings with representatives of Hindu and Muslim organisations for the maintenance of harmony.
“We do not anticipate any violence…there is no threat perception from intelligence agencies. Night patrolling and vehicle checks will be intensified. Firm action will be taken against any person making provocative speeches that might disrupt harmony,” he said.
At the Secretariat, Chief Secretary S. Malathi convened a meeting of senior police officers on Wednesday evening to discuss the level of preparedness. Inspector General of Police (Intelligence) M.S. Jaffar Sait said the attention of police officers was drawn to places that had a history of communal violence. Steps had been taken to ensure that anti-social elements did not take advantage of the situation. The police were asked to keep rumour mongers at bay.