Ivanpah Solar Power Facility...,
The World largest solar power station.....,
* The 392 MW Ivanpah Solar Power Facility
, located in California's Mojave Desert
, is the world’s largest solar thermal power plant or solar power station
* It deploys 173,500 heliostats each with two mirrors focusing solar energy on boilers located on centralized solar power towers.
* he mirrors focus sunlight onto boilers atop the towers, creating steam, which drives turbines that generate enough electricity to power 140,000 California homes.
*The project attracted some controversy because of its location on desert habitat considered by wildlife officials and environmentalists to be important for the threatened desert tortoise.
Project started at September 2013
Project ended February 13, 2014
* The project has been developed by BrightSource Energy and Bechtel.
* The project cost $2.2 billion and the largest investor in the project is NRG Energy, a generating company based in Princeton, N.J., that has put in $300 million.
* The United States Department of Energy gave $1.6 billion loan guarantee for this project.
* The estimated construction costs for this CSP project ($5,561.00 per KW) fall between the construction costs for coal and nuclear power plants per Synapse Energy Economics, but that does not account for the much lower capacity factor of solar power.