The bandwidth and location information available to 3G devices gives rise to applications not previously available to mobile phone users. Some of the applications are:
* Mobile TV - a provider redirects a TV channel directly to the subscriber's phone where it can be watched.
* Video on demand - a provider sends a movie to the subscriber's phone.
* Video conferencing - subscribers can see as well as talk to each other.
* Tele-medicine - a medical provider monitors or provides advice to the potentially isolated subscriber.
* Location-based services - a provider sends localized weather or traffic conditions to the phone, or the phone allows the subscriber to find nearby businesses or friends.