* 2 cups basmati rice
* 5 tablespoons butter
* 1 medium coconut
* Salt, to taste
* 15 cashew nuts
* 1 medium onion, finely chopped
* 3 1/2 cups water
* 1 stick cinnamon stick (1 inch)
* 3 cardamom
* 4 whole clove
* 1 pinch turmeric
Making Kobbari Annamu:
1. Wash basmati rice, drain and keep aside. Meanwhile remove meat from the coconut, cut it into 1-inch cubes, add 3 cups water to it and grind it thoroughly. Filter this mixture and retain the liquid. Keep it aside.
2. In a deep skillet, heat butter on low. Then add cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, cloves, cashew nuts. Fry until cashew nuts are pale brown.
3. Add finely chopped onion and add the basmati rice when onions are brown. Stir for five minutes. Then add salt and coconut milk, which was extracted above and raise the heat to high. *(see notes)
4. When the liquid starts boiling, lower heat, cover with a lid and simmer. Stir occasionally and simmer till all the liquid is absorbed.
5. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter and sugar. When sugar melts and turns brown, add rice and fry for 5 minutes on high heat. Then add water and salt and let it come to a boil.
6. Lower heat and let it cook until the water content decreases to less than half. Then add milk (in which the saffron is soaking) and simmer on low heat. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed.