* 1 1/2 cups black gram
* 1 teaspoon garlic paste
* 1 teaspoon ginger paste
* 1 medium onion, crushed
* 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon red chili powder
* 1 cup half-n-half cream
* 4 whole clove
* 1 stick cinnamon stick (1 inch)
* 2 teaspoons butter
* 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
* Salt, to taste
Making Maakhi Dal :
1. Boil black gram until the seed partly splits in the center. Keep aside.
2. In a deep skillet heat oil and when oil is hot add cloves, garlic, ginger, onion, salt and cinnamon. Fry until onion turns pale brown and then add chili powder.
3. Fry for another three minutes. Now add tomato and fry for another five minutes.
4. Next add boiled black gram, one cup of water and stir well. Let cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
5. When the liquid is absorbed (that is, the dal turns slightly thick) add cream and stir well. Let cook for five more minutes and remove from heat.
6. In another skillet, heat butter and add cumin seeds when butter has melted.
7. Fry for two minutes and then add the above dal. Stir once and remove from heat.